Start: July 27, 2022
End: July 2024
What Is This Study About?
This study will test the effectiveness of the dietary supplement citicoline to improve sleep and cognition in people with Alzheimer's disease who are currently taking the dementia drug donepezil. Participants will be randomly assigned to take either citicoline or a placebo supplement daily, in addition to their usual dementia drug donepezil. At the start and end of the three-month study, participants will fill out questionnaires about their sleep and complete memory and thinking tests.
Do I Qualify To Participate in This Study?
- Diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease
- Currently taking donepezil, with stable dosage for at least three months prior to study screening
- Read and understand English
- Telephone access
- Willing to be contacted for future studies
- Availability of a legally authorized representative with:
- Access to internet and email
- Availability to attend all study visits
Must NOT have:
- Currently taking Alzheimer's medications other than donepezil, including:
- Cholinergic precursors (e.g., choline alphoscerate, choline bitartrate, L-alpha-glycerophosphorylethanolamine)
- Other nootropics (e.g., homotaurine)
- Diagnosis of any one of the following medical conditions:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Severe cardiac insufficiency (e.g., congestive heart failure, heart attack)
- Type I diabetes
- Vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency
- Liver cirrhosis
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic renal failure
- Psychiatric disorders
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Restless legs syndrome or periodic limb movement disorder
- Epilepsy or head injury resulting in unconsciousness in the past two years
- History of alcohol dependence and/or medication abuse
- Work night shifts or frequently experience jet lag or irregular work schedules, which may alter the body's natural patterns of sleep and wakefulness
If I Qualify, Who Do I Contact?
Contact study personnel listed either under the general study contact or the location nearest you.
Victoria Pak, PhD, MS, MTR
Contact NIA’s Alzheimer’s and related Dementias Education and Referral (ADEAR) Center at 800-438-4380 or email ADEAR.
Where Is This Study Located?
Emory University School of Nursing
Atlanta, GA 30322
Goizueta Alzheimer's Disease Research Center
Atlanta, GA 30329
Lead: Emory University
Source: ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT05200208