Start: August 2015
End: July 2019
What Is This Study About?
This clinical trial will test the feasibility of a modified Atkins diet (MAD) and whether the MAD results in better cognitive test scores than a placebo diet in older adults with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) or early Alzheimer's disease living in the community.
Do I Qualify To Participate in This Study?
- Diagnosis of MCI or Alzheimer's disease
- Availability of study partner without cognitive impairment who lives with participant
- Consent of primary care physician
Must NOT have:
- History of stroke, coronary artery disease, pancreatitis, renal disease or recurrent kidney stones, liver disease
- Untreated hypothyroidism or B12 deficiency
- Insulin-dependent diabetes
- Body mass index less than 18.5
- Multiple food allergies
- Strict diet (for example, vegetarian, gluten-free)
If I Qualify, Who Do I Contact?
Contact study personnel listed either under the general study contact or the location nearest you.
Contact NIA’s Alzheimer’s and related Dementias Education and Referral (ADEAR) Center at 800-438-4380 or email ADEAR.
Where Is This Study Located?
Lead: Johns Hopkins University
Source: ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT02521818