Start: November 17, 2020
End: May 31, 2025
What Is This Study About?
This study will compare levels of brain inflammation with changes in the amount of abnormal proteins in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease. Researchers will also look at how inflammation plays a role in the early symptoms of Alzheimer's. Participants will complete tests at the start of the study and then again about two years later. These tests include brain scans (positron emission tomography scans and MRI) to measure changes in brain structure and blood tests to measure genetic changes related to inflammation. Researchers will also look for antibodies to the COVID-19 virus to see if the virus affects brain inflammation. Spinal fluid will be collected to measure Alzheimer's disease biomarkers.
Do I Qualify To Participate in This Study?
Inclusion Criteria for Alzheimer's Participants:
- Diagnosis of one of the following conditions based on medical history, clinical exam, neuropsychological testing, and brain scanning:
- Amnestic Alzheimer's disease, which is a type of Alzheimer's disease with memory difficulties
- Posterior cortical atrophy, which is a type of Alzheimer's disease with vision difficulties
- Logopenic variant primary progressive aphasia, which is a type of Alzheimer's disease with memory difficulties
- Clinical Dementia Rating Scale score of 0.5 or 1
- If not able to provide informed consent, then a legally acceptable representative must provide written informed consent
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Able to participate in all scheduled evaluations and to complete all required tests and procedures
Inclusion Criteria for Healthy Volunteers:
- Normal vision, language, and memory function with Clinical Dementia Rating scale score of 0
Must NOT have:
- Evidence or history of a brain disorder other than Alzheimer's disease
- Medical conditions (e.g., morbid obesity, claustrophobia, uncontrolled epilepsy) or metal implants or other devices that make brain imaging scans or other study procedures unsafe
- Exposure to research-related radiation in the past year that, when combined with this study, would be above allowable limits
- Participation in a clinical trial in the past year for an Alzheimer's disease drug
- Taking immunosuppressive medication (e.g., glucocorticoids, cytostatics, antibodies, drugs acting on immunophilins, interferons, tumor necrosis factor inhibitors)
If I Qualify, Who Do I Contact?
Contact study personnel listed either under the general study contact or the location nearest you.
Aubrey S. Johnson
Zeljko Tomljanovic, MD
Contact NIA’s Alzheimer’s and related Dementias Education and Referral (ADEAR) Center at 800-438-4380 or email ADEAR.
Where Is This Study Located?
Lead: Columbia University
National Institute on Aging (NIA)
Source: ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT04576793