Start: October 2, 2018
End: August 30, 2023
What Is This Study About?
This 18-month trial will investigate whether the Multicultural Healthy Diet can improve cognitive functioning in middle-aged adults living in an urban setting. The Multicultural Healthy Diet emphasizes plant-based foods and limits animal and high-saturated fat foods. Participants will be randomly assigned to the study diet or to their usual diet and sessions that focus on self-care, such as dealing with aches and pains of aging. Researchers will measure the effect the diet has through real-time cognitive assessments and changes in nutrition and plasma biomarkers.
Do I Qualify To Participate in This Study?
- Living, working, attending school or visiting Co-op City, Bronx
- Willingness to accept assignment to intervention or comparison diet group
- Willingness to participate in a study in which weight loss is not a primary goal
Must NOT have:
- Cognitively impaired
- History of traumatic brain injury
- Psychiatric illness
- History of diabetes and experiencing hypoglycemia
- Liver disease
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure (greater than 140/90 mmHg)
- History of heart disease that affects physical functioning
- Severe chronic illness
- Low literacy
- History of alcohol or drug dependence
- Blood disease or malignancy not in remission for more than 5 years
- Visual, hearing, or motor impairment that would interfere with cognitive testing
- Chronic kidney disease on dialysis or special diet
If I Qualify, Who Do I Contact?
Contact study personnel listed either under the general study contact or the location nearest you.
Yasmin Mossavar-Rahmani, Ph.D., RD
Mindy Katz, MPH
Contact NIA’s Alzheimer’s and related Dementias Education and Referral (ADEAR) Center at 800-438-4380 or email ADEAR.
Where Is This Study Located?
Lead: Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Inc.
Penn State University
University of Pennsylvania
University of Minnesota - Clinical and Translational Science Institute
National Institute on Aging (NIA)
Source: ClinicalTrials.gov ID: NCT03240406